Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Online Parietal Art Exhibits

It's been a hectic couple of weeks for so many different reasons, so my apologies to my trusty readers for the dip in post production.

A few things: first, I'm glad to report that Alex Steenhuyse is back at it on his Anthrosite Blog, with some nice posts on a variety of prehistoric topics. So join me in saying "welcome back Alex" and check out some of his recent posts.

One of these is about the development of a new exhibit at the Musée regional de préhistoire d’Orgnac on the representation of animal movement in Upper Paleolithic rock art, based on some recent work by Marc Azéma.

If you enjoy this, then you might also want to check out the new online exhibit that they've put together for the Magdalenian petroglyph site of Roc-aux-Sorciers, also in France, and which had been dubbed the "Lascaux of engravings." It's really some pretty spectacular stuff, with several apparent human representations (very rare in European Upper Paleoltihic art), and the multimedia component of the site is very, very well-done. See for yourself!

1 comment:

Alexandre Steenhuyse said...

Merci beaucoup Julien! Glad to be back, my students really pushed me into it and the truth is that I just enjoy it too much. I truly see blogging as a meaningful way to communicate between instructors and students but also within the anthropological community, kind of a nice format to put debates, discussions or just information out in the open. I am going to try to post on more specific paleoanthropological topics soon.
All the best,
Alex